Monday 24 June 2013

Feud between Sharapova & Serena at Wimbledon, as Serena arrives with new bf.

Rivals: Sharapova criticized Williams for her comments during her Wimbledon press conference
All eyes on her: Spotligh
Comments: Love interest: Maria Sharapova with her boyfriend, Bulgarian tennis player Grigor Dimitrov
The feud between Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams looks set to run into the opening week of Wimbledon.
Williams arrived at the tennis tournament with her French coach turned boyfriend.
The blonde Russian has been incensed by comments from world number one Williams that appeared in an American magazine.In a Rolling Stone feature, in which the magazine's reporter had remarkable access to Williams, the 31-year-old was quoted as taking a swipe at a rival player during a phone conversation with sister Venus.Sharapova believes she was the target of Williams, as the article's author speculated. In the article, Williams said of the unnamed player: 'She begins every interview with 'I'm so happy. I'm so lucky' - it's so boring. She's still not going to be invited to the cool parties. And, hey, if she wants to be with the guy with a black heart, go for it.'

The latter reference has been widely taken to be aimed at Grigor Dimitrov, the Bulgarian player who is dating Sharapova and had previously been close to Williams.
Sharapova shot back with a barb at Williams on Saturday, hinting at disapproval of the American's own relationship with French coach Patrick Mouratoglou.

'If she wants to talk about something personal, maybe she should talk about her relationship and her boyfriend that was married and is getting a divorce and has kids,' Sharapova said.
Mouratoglou and Williams have not spoken about the nature of their relationship, and there has been no confirmation that his marriage has ended.
Yesterday, when Mouratoglou's name was brought up in Williams' pre-tournament press conference, she said: 'I've always kept my personal and professional life very private. I'm going to continue to do that.'
Williams would have been taken by surprise by Sharapova's remarks on Saturday, having believed she put a cap on any ill-feeling when the pair spoke on Thursday at the WTA Tour's pre-Wimbledon party in Kensington.
'I made it a point to reach out to Maria,' Williams said.
'I personally talked to Maria at the player party. I said, 'Look, I want to personally apologise to you if you are offended by being brought into my situation. I want to take this moment to just pour myself, be open, say I'm very sorry for this whole situation'.
'We always have great conversations, so I believe that she definitely did accept it.'
Williams added: 'I know she also said that I should definitely focus on the tennis here, and I feel like that is another thing I can definitely take her advice on.'
Williams is clearly affronted that a conversation with Venus, that she believed would remain private, has reached the public domain.
But she said: 'I've been in the business for a little over 20 years, so I should definitely, definitely know better. I should know better to always have my guard up.'
Sharapova also spoke out against the controversial comments Williams made to Rolling Stone earlier this month seemingly defending the boys who raped a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, Ohio.
'I just think she should be talking about her accomplishments, her achievements, rather than everything else that's just getting attention and controversy,' Sharapova said at the press conference.
She added, 'Nobody really cares about what I have to say, my opinions. If I speak to my friends, that's one thing. But I don't go out and try to create things that shouldn't be really talked about.'
In the article 16-time grand slam winner Williams says the perpetrators of the crime 'did something stupid,' and asks, 'Do you think it was fair, what they got?'
She adds, 'I'm not blaming the girl, but if you're a 16-year-old and you're drunk like that, your parents should teach you: Don't take drinks from other people.'
After the interview in Rolling Stone, Williams apologized to the family of the rape victim.

What can I say? Can't wait to see these two slug it out on the court...will be quite interesting, so you if don't watch tennis this should be a good reason to do so..*wink

2 comments: