Monday 11 November 2013

Africa Is Not a Country, Lagos Is My Song




My hotel choice was strategic
Conveniently close to my getaway umbilical cord
The ant-colony bustling Heathrow Terminal 5
A brisk short walk to the domicile of my prey
An urban-jungle shopping arcade
Boisterous by day, eerily quiet and lonely at night

A brief glance at my timepiece
Tick-tocking regally towards the appointed time
And then, on the stroke of the hour
The building’s sphincter splits open its seams
Spewing forth a motley spray of gaily dressed credit-crunched teens
Adults and more teens in jeans
An overflowing concrete jungle, medley of tribes, colours, no greens
Immigrants, global citizens hurrying to catch a bite
Before the conveyor belts start the roll into the long night

My earlier text message crisp as the hotel’s linen bedsheet
“Will wait for you by noon, nice bar at the end of the street”
A brisk short walk from my expensive hotel suite
The rendezvous
To meet a neighbour’s-cousin’s-neighbour’s-daughter I’m yet to meet

We must have recognised each other within the same heartbeat
She with her green and white stripped apron and coy funny hat
I in my couture fitted shirt and Armani slacks
Beaming an Oscar-winning beam I reserve for this act
I pull her off the street
Into the warm embrace of the dimly lit bar
The eager warmth of her clothed skin searing through the defence of my sheepskin gloves
Our orders danced off the à la carte like notes off a song
And off pirouetted the protective gloves and wary smiles

A tall glass of lager, an espresso, and two sulking muffins
Then bla! bla! bla! bla! and more bland blabbing
Steady power, decent transport, people’s power bla, bla, bla
Teeth clenched, ears plugged, five minutes vocal torture, raving mad
She almost got away with it, until she uttered the sacrilegious words
“So when are you back to Africa?” I hear under the silent roar
Jaws droop, eyes widen, forced jaws shut with a thud
Look of incredulity a dead giveaway, mad, why mad?
“What did you say?” the “ay” in my “say” dragging on and away
“If you meant Nigeria that will be tomorrow not today”
Her response an “Awwwh” followed by a partially suppressed giggle
With a heave of her barely clad chest followed by an almost feline wriggle

It’s a continent of 53 countries I scream in my head
Her response, a tilted Igbo babble I barely heard
Like a confluence of a thousand indigenous African tongues
Spoken from the matrix of humanity, voice of all songs
Africa’s womb of which bore the womb that bore her grand mum

Peals of laughter tinkled forth, bobbing the funny hat atop her braids
 “Awhright,” she sighs and cocks her cute little head
I quickly fumble in my pocket pulling out a wad of rumpled bills
And mutter, “From your folks, greetings from Nigeria to these barren hills”
I mumble a hasty goodbye and beat a retreat to the cold street
The still full glass of lager a still-silent witness to my exit

Back to Knightsbridge, back to my cozy hotel suite
The Asian doorman bows with a flourish and pulls open the door
“Nice weather today and please mind the wet floor”
 “I hope you stay the week for this weather will surely hold”
I wince as my umbilical cord to Lagos shivers in the cold
Bed tonight for me and back to Lagos tomorrow my man
He shrugs as if to say he has tried all that he can
I almost scream, Africa, Lagos Nigeria here I come!
A humongous herd of humanity, a paradise baked in the sun
“Ohhh Lagos Nigeria,” I sing like a love song
The doorman’s look says, “There goes another mad one”
Nigeria is my country, just thought that you should know
Africa is not a country but Lagos is my song

 Jekwu Ozoemene
2009

2 comments: