Sunday 2 November 2014

I don’t want a rich man – May7ven

May7ven
Nigerian musician May7ven talked about her self in this interview. Read the excerpts below.
Background
My name is Yemisi Odegbami. I am a musician, dancer and presenter. My father is Segun Odegbami. I’m his first child. I have been in the United Kingdom but visited Nigeria for short periods. I just moved back finally this year. I studied performing arts, marketing and architecture, and sound engineering by the side.
Philanthropy
It is a natural thing. My parents are the most selfless people I know. They are my biggest influence. With the little you have, you can do a lot. I have always been charitable naturally. The more experiences I have in my life, the more values I can add to the lives of other human beings.
Competition
You are only bothered about competition if you are not confident in your ability and if you have nothing extraordinary to offer. I am not bothered and I do not see anyone as competition. I am confident in myself.
Multi-talents
My parents are talented and multi-faceted people. I inherited that from them. My dad would always say practise every little thing you can do. You can never rely on just one thing. When you are multi-talented, you learn to do things multiple things. I have a really great support network and I surround myself with skilled people.
Pedigree
There are times my father’s name opened doors for me, although I did not want it to. I have my own talent. I am not a footballer but I can sing and dance. I wanted people to see that first before discovering who my father is. Ten years after I developed my career, I want to tell the world that I am Odegbami’s daughter. I wanted to carve a career for myself on my own, with the idea that no one will know who I am. I developed the name May7ven because of that. I was born on May 7, and my father’s jersey bore the number 7.
Career improvement
It takes a lot of discipline, and I do not do what everybody is doing. I looked at what Michael Jackson did and I had to practise a lot. I surround myself with good and skilled people. I’m still practising and I hope that one day I will become a great artiste.
Signature looks
The white hair is a protest to be different. I went for an audition in the United States of America and United Kingdom where I was being signed by a record label. They looked at us and said all black female artistes looked the same. We had the same hairstyle. I needed something that would make me stand out, even as an African. I started having my hair white.
Music
I started at home and from the television before I ended up in the church; I started playing the drums and it led to singing. I make music to make people happy. I fight for women and children all day long. That is my first agenda, and to also get women to unite. A lot of violence will not exist if we were working together and support one another as women. I have won some awards for my music and my eyes are on the grand prize which is the Grammys.
Alter ego
I am Yemisi; and when I am on stage, you would see May7ven. I am quiet, reserved, and shy. I am a recluse and I hide myself. It would be difficult to see me in a club or at every red carpet event. I do not like to go out. The best place in the world for me is my room, with my laptop. I can see the world from my laptop. That is all I need unless I am practising. When I step out, May7ven comes out. I do not need any other extra name.
Relationship
My parents do not put the pressure on me to get married. I am a woman who knows what she wants. I am strong-minded. I do what I want to do. I have had two major love of my life. We are having some problems right now because of my relocation and I am not out here looking for a significant other. I want to be in a nice, healthy relationship. My ideal man would be strong and ambitious. I do not care about looks. I do not want someone who has made it. I want someone I can build an empire with; someone that can add value to my life and I can add to his too.
Style
My style outside the stage varies. I have a very eclectic wardrobe. I do not follow trends and I never have. I do not like to wear what somebody else is wearing. Sometimes I like to piece my things together myself.



Peter Okeugo

4 comments:

  1. Shy ke........where is my pinch of salt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Na sire una dey always talk. After na,complain go full everywhere

    ReplyDelete