Sunday 14 December 2014

I was always drunk after I became famous - Al Pacino

Out and about: Al Pacino was pictured dining at Nate 'n Al Delicatessen in Beverly Hills on Saturday, wearing an all black ensemble

Al Pacino's meteoric rise to fame began with 1972 classic The Godfather, which garnered him an Oscar nomination, followed by four more Oscar nods in a matter of six years.
And the 74-year-old actor has discussed how he dealt with his early days of success. 
The Ocean's Thirteen star admitted to The Hollywood Reporter: 'I was inebriated most of the time. I was trying to numb up to get through it.'

He described feeling overwhelmed by the sudden fame.
 ‘I was sort of blasted out of a cannon: five films, five Oscar nominations. I blew out with The Godfather and I didn't know what was happening to me.’
Al received a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for his role as Michael Corleone in The Godfather.
He subsequently received Best Actor Oscar nominations for his roles in Serpico (1973), The Godfather Part II (1974), Dog Day Afternoon (1975), and …And Justice For All (1979).

Al described how his life spiraled out of control, confessing: ‘I was drinking and doing and having fun and not having fun and dying and going crazy — I was doing all of those things — but I kept going.
‘I didn't know where I was... I know how explosive it was, but I was inebriated most of the time. I was trying to numb-up to get through it...
‘Lee Strasberg was a dear friend and a mentor and he did say, “Darling, you simply have to adjust.”’
Al became aware of his newfound fame when people on the streets started recognizing him as his character Michael Corleone in The Godfather.

‘Sometimes I would walk in New York and stand at a curb and if there was an attractive woman, sometimes I might say, “Hi,”’ he said.
‘I wouldn't be overbearing or anything, I'd just say, “Hi.” I remember getting on a corner, and I saw this beautiful girl and I looked at her and said, “Hi,” and she looked at me and said, “Hi, Michael.”
‘Well, you could have knocked me over. I thought, “Oh, my God, it's over,” meaning, "I'm not anonymous anymore. There's no going back."' 






Daily Mail



No comments:

Post a Comment