Sunday 3 May 2015

Floyd Mayweather wins $400m fight of the century...narrowly...



Floyd Mayweather has won the fight of the century, beating Manny Pacquiao by a unanimous decision in front of a star-studded Las Vegas crowd at the MGM Grand.

It was striking how hostile the crowd was to the champion Floyd Mayweather Jr though. He had climbed the ropes, crossed his arms and preens,only for the crowd to wash him in loud boos. Manny Pacquiao also told the ring announcer he thinks he won the fight. Yeah, but you took some shots, the announcer explained.
After the bout, which has been five years in the making, 'Money' confirmed that he will have one more fight in September, citing a deal with Showtime. 
The judges' scorecards read: 118-110, 116-112 and 116-112 in favor of Mayweather in a decision that didn't go down well with his defeated Philippine opponent. 
'Pac-Man' insisted he thought he had won the encounter, saying: 'I thought I won the fight. He didn't do nothing.' He is now planning a vacation before mulling over the next stage of his career.


About the fight, Floyd had this to say:

First off, I want to thank God. I want to think all the fans around the world. This was a hell of a fight. I take my hat off to Manny Pacquiao, now I see why he is one of the guys
at the pinacle of boxing. I knew he was going to push me, win some rounds. I wasn't being hit with a lot of shots until I sit in a pocket and he landed a lot of shots. I am truly blessed. Manny Pacquaio is truly blessed. I am a calculating fighter. He is a tough competitor. I had to take my time with him. My last fight is in September.
For Manny:
It was a good fight. I got him many times I saw the punches. I thought I won the fight. He is moving around, it is not easy to throw a lot of punches. I can handle his power. He is not strong like some others. He's not bigger than me, the size doesn't matter, I have fought bigger guys.
The fight earned Mayweather at least $180 million.Mayweather went into the night undefeated in 47 fights. The encounter is believed to be the one of the richest in sporting history - being valued at around $400million.It was a star studded night fight with many celebs in attendance.Jamie Foxx opened the fight with a rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner moments before the two fighters make their way the ring.Bieber joined Mayweather on his way into the ring - a job he has performed during previous title fights.
See more photos below:

The 38-year-old American glares at the crowd with a championship belt over his shoulder after winning the welterweight unification championship Floyd Mayweather has won the fight of the century, beating Manny Pacquiao by a unanimous decision in front of a star-studded Las Vegas crowd at the MGM Grand Jamie Foxx sings the Star-Spangled Banner moments before the two fighters make their way the ring Beyonce Knowles and Jay Z dressed to impress as they attended one of the biggest sporting occasions in decadesBieber walks to his seat after joining Mayweather on his way into the ring - a job he has performed during previous title fights Model Cassie Ventura (left) and P Diddy pose ringside as they enter the arena. Diddy was heavily involved in the build-up to the fight, publicly backing Floyd Mayweather Donald Trump was one of the many celebrities at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for the blockbuster fight Ben Affleck smirks at the camera as he takes his position courtside at the MGM Grand ahead of the fight Ben Affleck smirks at the camera as he takes his position courtside at the MGM Grand ahead of the fight 

4 comments:

  1. I feel so gutted.manny is my champ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew mayweather will win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a boxing fan but for some reason I wanted Manny to win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wayo dey dis fight mschewwww...manny should v won

    ReplyDelete