Sunday, 13 September 2015

3 Nigerians confirmed injured in crane collapse in Saudi Arabia

Massive damage: Today, pictures show the extent of the damage the crane did to the important site, ripping huge holes through massive concrete walls. The crane remained where it fell, a brutal reminder of the human cost of the disaster

Saudi authorities on Saturday announced that the Hajj, a pillar of the Muslim religion which last year drew about two million worshippers, will take place despite Friday’s tragedy.
Parts of the Grand Mosque remained sealed off around the wreckage of the crane, which also injured about 200 people when it crashed into a courtyard on Friday.
“We will investigate all the reasons and afterwards declare the results to the citizens,” Salman said after visiting the site, one of Islam’s holiest.
Salman, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, said: “My visit today is to check what had happened and know how we can rehabilitate the site again.
“We will open investigation into the causes of the accident and then announce the results to the public.”
Meanwhile, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) has confirmed that three Nigerian pilgrims sustained minor injuries in the crane crash.
Chairman of the commission, Abdullahi Mukhtar, who made this known at a news conference in Abuja, said the victims were responding to treatments in the Holy land.
Mr Mukhtar, who did not name the victims, however, said that two were from Kaduna and one from Gombe.
He expressed deep shock over the sad incident but assured that it would not affect this year’s exercise in any way.
“On the commission’s part, we have advised the various states pilgrims’ board not to allow their pilgrims to go close to the Grand Mosque for now.
“They have adhered strictly to our directive and it is yielding positive results,’’ he said.

Source: Premium Times

No comments:

Post a Comment