Friday 25 September 2015

Woman who lost a 'perfect job'' over intricate hand tattoo gets it back after viral FB post.

Claire said she was 'perfect' for the role at logistics firm Dee Set because of her skills, previous experience and flexibility


A woman who landed her 'perfect' job was fired half an hour later after the company learned she had a tattoo on her hand. 
Claire Shepherd, 27, from Swansea, applied for the role of retail merchandiser - helping stores plan what products to buy and how to display them - at shopping logistics company Dee Set.
Clearly impressed with her experience, the firm offered her the position after passing a telephone interview with 'flying colours'.
However, after discovering that Claire had inkings on her hand - which would be difficult to cover up - they backtracked, saying they could not hire her as the design may 'cause offence'.
Claire Shepherd was fired half an hour after landing her 'perfect' job because of the intricate tattoo on her left hand, which she would struggle to cover up 
Frustrated Claire, who got the intricate tattoo that extends from her forefinger, over her hand and on to her forearm 18 months ago, vented her anger on Facebook.
She told her followers: 'I got a new job today! And then I got sacked within half an hour....
'I had a telephone interview today with Dee Set for a retail merchandiser and was happy when at the end of the phone call she told me I had the position and would be starting next week.
'The company then sent me an e-mail with their dress standards. As I read it I was gutted as they noted that all tattoos must be covered up as they are likely to cause offence.'
Thinking that this was an 'old standard e-mail the company sent out', Claire contacted Dee Set, hoping that their views had changed and explained that her emblem wouldn't affect her work. 
She continued: 'I have 6 years previous experience in managerial roles and my tattoos have never been an issue. That is until I applied for a role with Dee Set that work with Tesco, Asda, Boots and other chains.
'I was shocked when they replied and said they would no longer be employing me as I would not be able to cover my tattoos.'
Claire said she was 'perfect' for the role because of her skills, previous experience and flexibility. 
'They clearly thought I had something to offer and would be the right person for the job as they had already offered me the position,' she said. 
'I'm shocked that people still discriminate against visible tattoos. I just didn't think this happened any more. I'm totally disgusted.'
Claire's rant has been shared nearly 2,000 times and re-tweeted by American plus-size model Tess Holliday, who is a fellow ink devotee.
Claire has six years experience in previous managerial roles
Claire, who has inkings on her neck, hands and arms, said she is 'disgusted' that companies discriminate against people with tattoos
Frustrated Claire, who got the intricate tattoo on her left hand 18 months ago, vented her anger on Facebook

After seeing the Facebook post, Dee Set backtracked on their policy and offered Claire the job again. 
'They saw my tattoo and saw it was not offensive,' she told FEMAIL. 'But I feel if I hadn't gone viral they wouldn't have offered me the job back. 
 We are all individuals and someone's skin shouldn't affect their employment
'I'm glad they saw their mistake and corrected it though, that's a step forward.'
Claire declined the position and is now working at retail company B&M. 
She hopes her experience will help highlight discrimination in the work place and remove the stigma surrounding people with tattoos.  
'The government want people employed. Maybe they should not allow companies to have outdated policies then,' she added. 
'In my opinion, tattoos do not affect your performance or ability to do a job and do not pose a health and safety risk or cause any harm. It is literally just some colour or a picture on your skin.'
She continued: 'I was previously an assistant manager and it never posed an issue. As long as the person is capable of doing their job then I do not see how it is justifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment