Sunday 7 February 2016

All That Glitters: Why A Ring Is The Least Important Part Of A Marriage

Getty Images


So, one day, my boyfriend and I were conversing about engagement rings.
I turned to him and said, “I don’t want you spending any more than $5,000 on a ring.”
He was shocked and delighted that I wanted a ring at that price.
He then said, “Wow. I thought you were going to go much higher than that.”
Now, stop right there.
Why can’t he buy me a classy ring that only costs $5,000? Why does it have to cost an arm and a leg, as well as half his salary?
Is he trying to please and appease me?
I mean, if we’re on our way to getting engaged, doesn’t that mean he’s sealed the deal with me already?
To me, a wedding ring should be elegant, shiny and sparkly. But most importantly, it should come from the heart.
You see, as we all know, men aren’t too good at picking out jewelry. So if and when he does, he’s really trying his best.
If you’re going to complain about the price or how it looks, you’re crushing him (even though he’ll never admit it).
Why would I want to go any higher than that?
Does an expensive ring mean he loves me more or something?
So the men who buy their women rings that cost $20,000 and up love them more than my boyfriend loves me?
That’s absolutely incorrect.
To the woman who says, “Yes,” I feel sorry for you.
I feel bad for you because you’re materialistic and think high-priced items equal love.
What about the men who treat their women like royalty in every other way?
They wine and dine them, randomly buy them flowers, support them and listen when they’re having a meltdown.
Oh. Maybe none of that matters.
My boyfriend’s sister’s husband spent $20,000 on a ring he bought online. He never saw it until it came in the mail.
Yes, you heard me correctly. This is $20,000 on a ring she merely wears on her finger.
What has our world come to? Rings are now status symbols in the same way cars are for men.
You see celebrities wearing huge diamonds all the time to showcase their “love for one another.”
Let’s face this unfortunate fact: Most celebrities end up divorced these days, so that ring is nothing but a piece of jewelry.
At the end of the day, does that ring make you money? Does it buy you happiness?
No? So what’s the point of a huge wedding ring?
These are the reasons I think women have become obsessed with big rings:

1. It shows your dude has money.

If your man has money, you have security. You will feel safe for the rest of your life.
I totally get wanting security. I’m not bashing that one bit.
But have you ever thought about the fact that your man wants to spend less on a ring and more on the actual wedding or saving up for a family?
He’s a smart dude in my book.

2. “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend.”

The bigger the diamond, the happier the women.
When most women see a diamond, their eyes light up.
So it’s no surprise that when they receive a huge rock, they become the happiest girls in the world.

3. It proves they’re “loved.”

A woman could be thinking that when her man buys a huge diamond ring, he must love her an awful lot.
Some of the time, it’s because he does love her. But other times, it could be because she’s begged him for one, and he finally caved.
Regardless of the reason, your man should never buy you something just because he feels guilty.
Later on, he might even resent you.

So men, take your time and be mindful of your wallet.
If you’re with a woman who cares more about the size of her ring than she cares about you, you may want to re-think spending the rest of your life with her.
Women: Please stop focusing on materialistic things, and concentrate more on planning for your future.

Hope Kumor

No comments:

Post a Comment