Tuesday 18 October 2016

Justice Adeniyi Ademola Withdraws From Sambo Dasuki’s Trial after His Arrest

Justice Adeniyi Ademola

Justice Adeniyi Ademola, one of the Judges whose houses were raided some days ago by the Department of State Services (DSS), on Tuesday said he would no longer preside over the criminal charge the Federal Government preferred against the detained former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd).
The DSS arrested seven judges and said that it discovered hundreds of thousands of dollars in addition to documents linking them to very expensive real estate.
Ademola, who had written to the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmoud Mohammed, said that specifically accused him while in custody that he collected “huge sums of money” from Dasuki.
Ademola, in the letter to the CJN, said that the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami masterminded his arrest because he (Malami) was trying to get back at him after he (Ademola) ordered the minister’s arrest and detention for alleged misconduct while he (Ademola) was serving as a federal judge in Kano state.
Adeomola had also said that the security operatives held guns to his head to sign a document detailing items, allegedly, found in his house and confessional statements he made during the raid.
Ademola was scheduled to deliver a ruling on the DSS’s request to allow witnesses to wear masks in its case against Dasuki, but he announced his intention to hands off the case.
The judge had presided over various cases on Monday, before his decision to resign from Dasuki’s case.
He said the reason for his withdrawal is the current allegations of corruption leveled against him.
“I am sure you are conversant with what is going on the last seven days. One of the allegations being made against me is that I received some money from Sambo Dasuki. This is the allegation of the SSS. I thought I should tell the counsel what is being said. Before I announce my decision, let me ask the defendant (Dasuki) some questions,” Ademola said.
“Do you know me at all?” he asked Dasuki. Dasuki responded, “Before I came to this court, not at all”.
“Did you at any time give me money?” he quizzed again. “Not that I am aware of,” Dasuki said.
Ademola proceeded to ask, “Did you send your lawyers to give me money‎?”, Dasuki responded, “Not at all”.
“Did you give money to any of my relatives‎?” Ademola asked. “Not at all, maybe the SSS alleging that did,” Dasuki said.
“I am happy that the defendant has answered these questions. In the interest of fair hearing, I am minded to return the case file to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court for further action,” Ademola concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment