Saturday 14 January 2017

Nigeria’s sex toy market booms despite recession

2013 754

In the midst of the biting economic crisis facing many Nigerians, forcing many to go as far as committing suicide, a sub-sector of the Nigerian economy is booming bringing smile to the faces of people lacking sexual fulfilment – married and singles alike.This is the sex toy market.
In a society where people can hardly speak openly about sexual problems, according to a report by Punch some vendors sell sex toys worth millions of naira every month.
A sex therapist and prominent sex toy vendor, Mrs. Iheoma Obibi, explained that contemporary Nigerians are gradually coming out of some sort of “sexual darkness” and this is creating a boom in the market with an attendant influx of fake sex toys.
For the last six and half years, Kemi Fawole, a certified sex therapist, has been dealing in adult products including sex toys.
She told Saturday PUNCH that she sells at least N7m worth of sex toys yearly. It is about the same for actress-turned sex toy vendor, Bisi Ibidapo-Obe, who told one of our correspondents, “I cannot estimate how much of sex toys I sell in a year but I know that in about three to six months, I rake in more than N3m.”
Yet, these two are just a small fraction of the numerous sex toy vendors who now trade in the country.
Every now and then, a new vendor like Japhet Okoromadu enters the market and soon realises how supply of sex toys pales in comparison to the deluge of demands by Nigerians.
Another vendor, Japhet Okoromadu, who has just started selling sex toys online about a year ago said:
 “I sell penis enlargement pumps and vaginal tightening cream as well. Right now, the demand I get for sex toys is more than my available stocks,” he said.
“I get male customers as much as female. Some ladies even chat with men, complaining bitterly how they are suffering in silence, and how their husbands cannot satisfy them. Eighty five per cent of complaints about sex that I get from clients is about not being satisfied by spouses. Unfortunately, most of the women cannot voice out their concern to their partners.” It was learnt that some of these adult products, sell for between N5,000 and N25,000 while premium brands sell for higher.
Fawole also said some of her vibrators are as cheap as N5,000 while some are as high as N150,000.  She said the common vibrators are between N5,000 and N20,000.
In Ibidapo-Obe’s store at Magodo, in Lagos, the cheapest sex toy in her store sells for about N30,000 while the most expensive is about N200,000.
Judging by the volume of sales that many of the sex toy vendors our correspondents spoke with make annually, there is no doubt that the industry runs into several millions.
Crave for sexual fulfilment driving a multi-million naira market
“Why can’t you tell your husband you are not satisfied?” As innocent as this question is, it turned out to be at the heart of the demands that drive the adult products industry in the country.
At 32, Jane Adebola (not real name) has been married for three years. But that was enough time for her to almost give up hope of ever getting the level of the sexual satisfaction she deserves in her marriage.
When adebola shared her story, it was not in the coy, carefree banter in which issues of sex are often discussed among friends. She was serious. For her, it was not something to be joked with.
“Before I was married, I was sexually active for at least five years. That does not mean I was hopping from bed to bed, though. But the truth is that throughout that five years, I never experienced an orgasm. I was looking forward to my marriage because then, I knew I would get all the sexual fulfilment I wanted,” she said.
Despite having a wonderful marriage and a husband that dotes on her, the sexual expectation she took into the marriage has all but waned.
“I realised that the issue of not reaching orgasm is a very big problem. I do reach orgasm, but only when I pleasure myself after my husband is done,” Adebola said.
But Adebola is not alone.
Planned Parenthood reports that one in three women has problems reaching orgasm with their partner, while up to 80 per cent of women struggle to orgasm from just intercourse.
Sex therapist, Funmi Akingbade, cited a report, which suggests that only 29 per cent of married women admit that they have orgasm with their husbands.
But for women like Adebola, the solution only lies in being “bold and experimental” in seeking sexual satisfaction.
Adebola said after suffering for so long and pretending that she was having a swell time anytime she had a sexual contact with her husband, she summoned the courage to tell him one day.
“He was shocked when I told him that he had never made me climax before. He believed that since I never complained, all was well. But we sat down and talked about it. I told him of my intention to buy a sex toy and he was very supportive,” she said.
Few months ago, a courier service delivered a nondescript package at their doorstep. That was the day “Jessica Rabbit” came into their lives.– Jessica Rabbit is the type of vibrator– that not only penetrates but also stimulates the clitoris in the process.
Since Jessica Rabbit came into Adebola’s home, life has not remained the same.
“I would never think about cheating on my husband. Today, I have no complaint. What my husband cannot finish, Jessica Rabbit perfects. With so many sex toys available these days, no woman should cheat on her husband just because he cannot satisfy her anymore,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment