Saturday 20 May 2017

Parents Love Bunmi Laditan's Email To Her Kid's Teacher About Reducing Homework

"She's in school from 8:15am-4pm daily so someone please explain to me why she should have 2-3 hours of homework to do every night?"
Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, phone and indoor



This is Bunmi Laditan, a Quebec writer known for her honest and hilarious takes on parenting.

Image may contain: 1 person, hat and closeup



While Laditan's got two books to her name, it's an email she shared on Facebook that's blowing up online right now.

Laditan wrote to her daughter Maya's teacher, saying the 10-year-old is done with the two to three hours of homework she's been getting every night.

'Maya will be drastically reducing the amount of homework she does this year,' Laditan wrote in the email. 'She's been very stressed and is starting to have physical symptoms such as chest pain and waking up at 4AM worrying about her school workload.'She added that her kid is doing well in school, but even a tutor and therapist recommended lightening the load. Right now, the homework 'is leaving little time for her to just be a child,' Laditan wrote."Maya will be drastically reducing the amount of homework she does this year," Laditan wrote in the email. "She's been very stressed and is starting to have physical symptoms such as chest pain and waking up at 4AM worrying about her school workload."

She added that her kid is doing well in school, but even a tutor and therapist recommended lightening the load. Right now, the homework "is leaving little time for her to just be a child," Laditan wrote.

In her Facebook post she was clearer: Maya is finished. She also explained that her kid loves learning, but homework is making Maya dread school.



"She's in school from 8:15am-4pm daily so someone please explain to me why she should have 2-3 hours of homework to do every night?" wrote Laditan.

"Is family time not important? Is time spent just being a child relaxing at home not important? Or should she become some kind of junior workaholic at 10 years old?"

She added that, just like adults, kids need downtime in the evenings to connect with their family and relax.
"I don't care if she goes to Harvard one day. I just want her to be intelligent, well-rounded, kind, inspired, charitable, spiritual and have balance in her life. I want her to be mentally and emotionally healthy. I want her to know that work is not life, it's part of life. Work will not fulfill you. It will not keep you warm — family, friends, community, giving back, and being a good person do that."
Below is her FB post:

My kid is done with homework. I just sent an email to her school letting her know she's all done. I said "drastically reduce" but I was trying to be polite because she's finished.
My 10-year-old loves learning. She independently reads 10-12 chapter books a year and regularly researches topics that interest her (right now she's writing a story about wolves). She takes coding classes, loves painting, and likes something called Roblox that I don't fully understand. But over the past four years I've noticed her getting more and more stressed when it comes to school. And by stressed I mean chest pains, waking up early, and dreading school in general.

She's in school from 8:15am-4pm daily so someone please explain to me why she should have 2-3 hours of homework to do every night?
How does homework until 6:30, then dinner, then an hour to relax (or finish the homework) before bed make any sense at all?
Is family time not important? Is time spent just being a child relaxing at home not important? Or should she become some kind of junior workaholic at 10 years old?
Did you know that in Finland homework is banned? And that they have the highest rate of college bound students in all of Europe? Children do not need hours of homework time to succeed yet we act like sitting at a kitchen table after a full day at school somehow makes sense. It does not. IT DOES NOT. IT. DOES. NOT.
Children need downtime after school the same way adults need downtime after work. They need to play with their siblings. They need to bond with their parents in a relaxed atmosphere, not one where everyone is stressed about fractions because - SURPRISE- I'm not a teacher. Children need time to just enjoy their childhoods or is that just for the weekends (although we do homework on Sundays also).
My kid is all done with homework. If the school wants to punish her for it, then I guess I'll have to figure out how to homeschool. I'm very nervous about it because although I work from home, I do work. I also have a 3-year-old who only goes to preschool two mornings a week. And a 7-year-old in second grade. I'll have to hire a tutor to help me and will need to find a group of parents doing the same thing, but I have no choice at this point.
We all want our children to grow up and succeed in the world. While I believe in education, I don't believe for one second that academics should consume a child's life. I don't care if she goes to Harvard one day. I just want her to be intelligent, well-rounded, kind, inspired, charitable, spiritual and have balance in her life. I want her to be mentally and emotionally healthy. I want her to know that work is not life, it's part of life. Work will not fulfill you. It will not keep you warm- family, friends, community, giving back, and being a good person do that.
I suppose I'll hear from her school tomorrow. We have some decisions to make. But going forward, this is a homework-free household and I don't care who knows it. My kid needs to be a kid.

And fellow parents are loving it. Her Facebook post has more than 16,500 shares and tons of comments from other moms who are fed up with seeing their kids stress out about homework.



No comments:

Post a Comment